Pages

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Perimeter & Area Dream Homes

I am on a roll with catching up on life this weekend. So far this weekend I: ran 8 miles (training for a PR in a half marathon!), did lesson plans for next week, graded, cleaned my house, caught up on my Netflix shows ;), and I am now catching up on bloggin'! Whew, and it's only Saturday!! <3

This week, my third graders learned about perimeter and area. This is always a tricky one because they get the two confused. I started out my lesson by telling them that cops search the perimeter of a building so that they can see if the bad guy is "around". They seemed to like this.

We'll see if it withstands the weekend.

Anyways, we created our dream homes on graph paper and found the perimeter and area of each room. I wanted them to get into it and be super creative - and boy, were they! I had to stop them from creating their homes to pack up. We finished the activity the next day. I just L-O-V-E when I see them get into a project! :)

Here is a student's dream home for an example: (like I said, superrr creative!)
{Also, this was just after the first day, we added our area measurements the next day}
A Sakura, Lone Star, Cold Stone, Spa... Can these be the blue prints of my future house?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment